2017 BMX Australia National Championships

May 28, 2017

Photo - Mad B Photography

"Life is not meant to be lived in your comfort zone". I feel like I truly understand the meaning of this after this year's National Championships. I had an amazing time over in Brisbane racing at one of my favourite tracks, Sleeman SX at the Sleeman Sports Complex in Chandler, Brisbane.

I spent my 20th Birthday on the plane over to Brisbane, ate some amazing food, swam in the coldest hotel pool ever and raced some of the best laps I have in a long time. I feel like I was finally able to overcome the hurdle that is Sleeman SX and feel comfortable on the track. Despite a somewhat disappointing result I can honestly say I enjoyed racing at the nationals more than any event I've raced in a long time and that was definitely the most I have ever enjoyed racing at Sleeman.

There is just something about that track that in all honesty scared me. I don't know if it was the ramp or the first jump or the whole track or what but I tackled it head on and managed to feel more and more comfortable and confident on the track as Nationals week went on.

It is super daunting and scary going as fast as you can down an 8 metre ramp but there is something so amazing about the feeling that is incomparable to anything else. Even more so when you chuck the country's fastest Elite Women on the gate next to each other and that really is as tough as it sounds.

I came into the event feeling nervous as heck, which is something I don't usually experience. I think it was both a combination of having to ride at Sleeman and knowing how much time and effort I had put into getting to the event. I guess that why it is more disappointing to have missed out on the final and at the end of the day there aren't any excuses, I just wasn't good enough. I tried my absolute best and even with some awesome races and PB lap times it just didn't cut it.

I don't make excuses for myself, as I said I just wasn't good enough, but a fair amount of bad luck went into my placing at nationals and well, the lap times speak for themselves. I was unfortunately the unlucky girl to be put in three motos of 5 riders which in itself is pretty unfair but I guess that's racing and that is just how it worked out. On top of that I was equal points with the girl above me (who made the final) and rather than going off lap times (which all of mine were faster than her's and the girl above her who also made it in) it went on placing countback so with a 5th in my last race I was out.

Devastated that I didn't get the chance to race that elite main but more hungry to work hard and be better for the next one.

Check out my video from the week of the nationals in Brisbane https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JJqd7rjmQ0&t=1s


-Rach

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe

//]]>